Thursday, October 21, 2010

Eric Fortune






 
"Daughters of Our Nature" @ Roq La Rue

“First, I need an idea/concept worthy of becoming a painting. Sometimes they come in a flash (my personal favorite) and sometimes I grind through sketches until I’ve worked everything out. A lot of sketches don’t make the cut.”

“Once I have the sketch worked out I have a model, usually family or friend, pose for photo ref. Afterwards, I use a light table to loosely transfer my sketch. Using the photo ref I then refine the drawing on the paper. It’s always a bit of a struggle finding the balance of using the photo ref and maintain the freshness of the initial sketch. Using acrylic paints on arches water color paper I start off by doing broad thin washes of paint.” 
“It’s basically multiple….MULTIPLE layers of thin washes. Slowly building up the value and color. As I paint there’s usually room for some unexpected things to happen as the washes may start to form “shapes” on their own.”     
“Over the years I’ve become a little better at letting some things in the painting go and tightening up on others. This can create a sense of depth as well as juxtaposing something well rendered next to something more loose and spontaneous. As I approach the end of the painting I find it easier to put in the long hours because I really enjoy noodling details. The sooner I get to the end the sooner I can noodle out details and tweak the image until it’s just the way I want it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment